Well, we made it through another tiebreaker season. Thanks to all for your participation, well-thought out comments and feedback. Atlanta losing on Monday night certainly made for an interesting group of scenarios for the #1 seed in the NFC, but Philadelphia laying an egg on Tuesday night simplified many things in the NFC. Full scenarios are listed below.
- ATL will be #1 seed UNLESS they lose and either NO or CHI wins
- ATL will be #2 seed if they lose and NO loses and CHI wins
- ATL will be #5 seed if they lose and both NO and CHI win
- NO can only be a #1 or #5 seed and will be #1 if they win and ATL loses
- If NO not #1 seed, they will be #5 and play AT NFC West winner (STL or SEA) Wild Card weekend (Saints beat both teams this year at home)
- CHI is the #2 seed unless ATL and NO both lose and CHI wins...then CHI would be #1 seed
- PHI is the #3 seed and will host the #6 seed (either GB, NYG or TB) on Wild Card weekend
- The STL-SEA winner (or STL in case of a tie) will host ATL or NO (whichever doesn't win the South) on Wild Card weekend
- GB will know by game time if their opponent (CHI) is locked into #2 seed (CHI would need ATL and NO losses in 1pm ET games to have chance at #1 seed).
- If GB wins, they will play at PHI on Wild Card weekend as the #6 seed.
- If TB wins early, GB knows they will need to win to get into playoffs and TB will root for GB and NYG losses to get a trip to PHI.
- TB game only matters to NYG if the Giants tie WAS.
- NYG can only get in as #6 seed and would play at PHI for a third game this season against the Eagles with a WIN and GB loss
- If TB, GB and NYG all win or all lose, GB will play at PHI on Wild Card weekend based on GB winning strength of victory tiebreaker among the three teams at 10-6 or 9-7. At 10-6, GB would have a minimum wins by defeated opponents of 74 while NYG and TB would have maximums of 65 and 59 wins respectively. At 9-7, GB would have a minimum wins by defeated opponents of 63 while NYG and TB would have maximum of 61 and 49 wins respectively.
CLINCHED: Atlanta - playoff spot.
Chicago - NFC North division and a first-round bye.
Philadelphia - NFC East division.
New Orleans - playoff spot.
ELIMINATED: Carolina, Detroit, Washington, Dallas, Minnesota, Arizona,
Atlanta clinches NFC South division and a first-round bye:
1) ATL win or tie
2) NO loss or tie
Atlanta clinches homefield advantage:
1) ATL win or tie
2) NO loss or tie + CHI loss or tie
Chicago clinches homefield advantage:
1) CHI win + ATL loss + NO loss or tie
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
New Orleans clinches NFC South and homefield advantage:
1) NO win + ATL loss
GREEN BAY Packers
Green Bay clinches a playoff spot:
1) GB win
2) GB tie + NYG loss or tie + TB loss or tie
3) NYG loss + TB loss
NEW YORK GIANTS
NY Giants clinch a playoff spot:
1) NYG win + GB loss or tie
2) NYG tie + GB loss + TB loss or tie
TAMPA BAY Buccaneers
Tampa Bay clinches a playoff spot:
1) TB win + NYG loss or tie + GB loss or tie
2) TB tie + NYG loss + GB loss
ST. LOUIS Rams
St. Louis clinches NFC West division:
1) STL win or tie
Seattle clinches NFC West division:
1) SEA win